Wednesday, November 22, 2006

How Are You Spending Thanksgiving?

Tom and I are cooking a full spread tomorrow--turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, and pumpkin pie. We're going to try our hand at a real stuffing, but I have a box of Stove Top standing by, just in case. I'm also going to try a new appetizer recipe I just learned--crostini with a fig-proscuitto tapanade. Our friends Jay and Erik are coming over for dinner, since her mom does Thanksgiving dinner closer to lunchtime, and we have ours ready later in the day. After we roll away from the table, we lie around and watch Survivor. It's like our little tradition. In previous years, our friend Candi came by for dinner, but since she moved to Ohio that won't be happening this year. We'll be sure to call her in between the cooking and the football and the eating.

Last year, CJ was just getting into table food, so I can't wait to watch him dig into everything this year.

So, what are your Thanksgiving traditions, and how are you spending the holiday?

5 comments:

Suze said...

mmmmm....beer, stuffing, pumpkin pie, my mom's cranberry salad, sweet potatoes, sweet rolls, mashed potatoes, and of course a gobbler...good times!

Just Julez said...

We were going to go to Ohio, but decided just to stay home and relax. I cooked all the traditional stuff. Then I slept. Then I ate. Then I slept again.

Todays's plan: find my fat jeans, eat, sleep, and put up the tree

Jenn-Jenn, the Mother Hen said...

Yesterday, we moved my friend Rachel into the apartment. So I got up at 3:30 a.m. and finished up hauling stuff out of Jamie's old room, put some stuff away, washed dishes, did some laundry (still haven't put it away though), etc. until around 9 a.m. when Rachel and her dad and bro arrived, then I helped unload stuff into the apartment. Then I started cooking ham at around noon, moved stuff around some more, then started on the rest of the trimmings. I finally got to go to bed at around 10:30. It was a good, but tiring day.

Tooz said...

We go to Corbin every year to my sister-in-law's house. I take the same dishes, hash brown casserole, traditionally forgotten jello salad, scalloped oysters, and some sort of dessert--unless David does the dessert. He took cabbage casserole this year, and he and I collaborated on a sweet potato dump cake. That was pretty good.

The sisters-in-law all bring dishes, and Caroline fixes the turkey. This year Everett carved the turkey, since David didn't want to leave Cora long enough to do his usual job. Except for Cora being really sick and us having to make a side trip to SIL Ruth's to pick up a bed, chest, and assorted other furniture for Glynda, it was a pretty good day.

ann said...

I've read this a few times since it was written, and this was the first time I saw the comma between "beer" and "stuffing." I thought, "Hm. Beer stuffing. I've heard of cooking a chicken over a can of beer before. Guess it would work for turkey, too."

pnihknio--sounds like a Vietnamese pinokio to me. Woah. I can't remember how to spell that guy's name.