Friday, April 20, 2007

Chili a la Bambi

I've made this twice now, and the kids have raved and raved about how much they love it, how it's different from my usual chili, etc. Well, folks, the secret ingredient is Bambi. Obviously, I didn't tell them that. One of the partners at work is a big hunter, and had some venison that would go to waste if he didn't get rid of it soon, so he brought it to work. So, I got some free meat (cool!)

I've eaten venison some while growing up, and my mom always told me to mix it half-and-half with hamburger meat so it doesn't taste stringy or tough. So that's what I did here.

Chili a la Bambi

1 lb ground extra lean hamburger
1 lb ground Bambi - I mean venison
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 cans generic diced tomatoes with sweet onion
Diced onions (to taste)
Buttload of ground chili powder (to taste)
Buttload of ground cumin (to taste)
garlic powder (to taste)
dash salt
dash pepper

Brown the meat together in a large skillet. Add onion and brown some more. Add canned stuff. Mix well. Keep adding spices and tasting it every so often until it tastes the way you want it to. If you need to stretch it to feed a bunch of people, you can make some white rice on the side and mix when serving. However, if you do this, be aware that you'll need to add a buttload more spices as the rice will make it more bland. Serve. And if you have kids, don't tell them Bambi's in it. Mine still doesn't know.

No comments: