Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Blog Looked So Lonely, I Just Had to Post a New Recipe

Okay, so it's starting to get chilly here (it's "freezing" right now at a mere 63-degrees. LOL!) Anyhoo, the turn to brisk weather with lots of wind lead me to make some homemade bean soup a couple of weekends ago. It wasn't truly "homemade" as I cheated some, but it was still yummy.

Jenn's Bean Soup Cheater Recipe

1 lb. pre-package mixed bean soup beans
1 lb. package of diced ham
1 can or jar of diced tomatoes
spices to taste

Take the beans and sort them in a bowl, removing any stones or debris that may have been left after processing. Rinse beans. Add to a larged, lidded pot with 7-8 cups of cold water. Cover. Let soak 6-8 hours.

Uncover beans. Add your favorite spices. I added several "shakes" of prefab cajun spices, as well as some garlic powder and dehydrated minced onions - I'm not sure how much, I just kept adding until it smelled and looked right to me. Add tomatoes and ham. Place pan on stove over high heat. Heat til water boils. Turn heat down to medium-high and cover with lid. Simmer until beans are at the consistency you desire. Stir occassionally.

I usually ad a little reduced sodium soy sauce and squirt catsup in the soup when I serve it. It helps cool it down and makes it yummy. Rachel added cheese to hers. Jamie noticed that he likes Goldfish crackers in his. Whatever you do to it, it sure makes a warm spot in your belly on a chilly day!

No comments: