Tuesday, September 12, 2006

There's a Rumor that Fall is Here

There's a rumor that there are fall-like temperatures somewhere in the U.S. Fall always made me think of my mother's yummy, rich AWESOME pumpkin bread. So, as promised, here's the recipe so that those of you who are actually starting to get your winter clothes out of the attic (Tara) can enjoy some homemade goodies on a crisp fall day.

NOTE: C=cup, T=tablespoon, t=teaspoon. It's very important that you not get your T and t confused!

Shirley's Legendary Squash/Pumpkin Bread (We prefer the pumpkin!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together:
2 C squash or 1 one-pound can of pumpkin
4 eggs
1 C Wesson oil
1/4 C water
3 1/2 C flour
3 C sugar (in my house, we use Splenda and can't taste the difference)
2 T cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t salt

Bake in loaf pan for 1 hr and 10 minutes. You can also make pumpkin bread muffins with this recipe, you'll just have to keep an eye on them so they don't burn (I don't remember how long I baked the cupcakes last time, but I should have kept a better eye on them!)

When it gets closer to Christmas, I'll post my grandmother's jam cake and homemade caramel icing recipe!!!!

No comments: